How do I get into Medical Device Sales?

I'm currently in sales outside of healthcare and I would like to get into medical device sales? To those out there, can someone point me in the right direction as the best way to get into the industry? Should I use a recruiter or reach out to companies directly? I've also seen advertisements for a medical sales college. Is that worth it?

I am making around 100k consistently but have heard the income is much higher in medical device sales. Is this still true, and if so, what are most companies paying these days?

Thank you for any help you can share about the industry.

Post A Reply

Report this entire thread

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a thread a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the thread has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.

The "best" way into med device sales is to be a high performing B2B sales rep and find an entry level device role that requires a few years of B2B sales experience. If you're already doing that, there should be many positions on linkedin that you'd be qualified for with companies and you would be best of just applying directly to those.

There are some 3rd party recruiters online that do B2B or outside sales to device, but there aren't a ton. If you search around online you should find a few, but most 3rd party recruiters are only trying to get in touch with current device reps. You can't go wrong connecting with corporate recruiters at companies you want to work for, though.

MSC is expensive, unnecessary, and only prepares you for ortho sales which is just one area of device. Why would you pay for this when any company is just going to train you and pay you while they do it?

The average base that I see in device is 60-80k for reps so yes, most reps are making significantly more than 100k per year. It depends pretty heavily on what you're selling and where you're located. If you work for a company like Medline and sell disposables on contract you shouldn't expect to make as much as the guy pushing CT scanners for GE. Safe to say the average salary in device is between 150-200 but there are definitely people running around making 400

This is excellent advice so thank you to the poster. We have seen a number of similar questions on our forums and decided to share some advice on how to break into medical device sales. Feel free to share your thoughts.

Medtechy

If you are interested in working for and/or interviewing with Stryker, make sure you read up on the Stryker Gallup interview. It's a test and it's not fun at all. I believe they are the only ones in the industry who use a test like this.

Check their website. It looks like they offer:
8 week orthobiologics
8 week spine
12 week spine and ortho recon/trauma
12 week extremeties and ortho recon/trauma
12 week sportsmed and ortho recon/trauma

Seems focused on ortho/trauma which is a good business but only a fraction of companies who hire for medical device sales positions. For that, I would pass on medical sales college unless you have used all the other options. Plus look at the companies who hire from MSC. They are all ortho/trauma.

MSC is expensive, unnecessary, and only prepares you for ortho sales which is just one area of device. Why would you pay for this when any company is just going to train you and pay you while they do it?

Is Medical Sales College really only for Ortho sales?

Check their website. It looks like they offer:
8 week orthobiologics
8 week spine
12 week spine and ortho recon/trauma
12 week extremeties and ortho recon/trauma
12 week sportsmed and ortho recon/trauma

The "best" way into med device sales is to be a high performing B2B sales rep and find an entry level device role that requires a few years of B2B sales experience. If you're already doing that, there should be many positions on linkedin that you'd be qualified for with companies and you would be best of just applying directly to those.

There are some 3rd party recruiters online that do B2B or outside sales to device, but there aren't a ton. If you search around online you should find a few, but most 3rd party recruiters are only trying to get in touch with current device reps. You can't go wrong connecting with corporate recruiters at companies you want to work for, though.

The average base that I see in device is 60-80k for reps so yes, most reps are making significantly more than 100k per year. It depends pretty heavily on what you're selling and where you're located. If you work for a company like Medline and sell disposables on contract you shouldn't expect to make as much as the guy pushing CT scanners for GE. Safe to say the average salary in device is between 150-200 but there are definitely people running around making 400

Is Medical Sales College really only for Ortho sales?

I've had luck with recruiters although I know there are some really bad ones out there. Everything else looks good. I started from outside the industry selling copiers and then to BSC for my start in medical device sales.

Great advice! Thank you!! LinkedIn seems like a great place for me to start the search!!

Report this post

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a post a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the post has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.