Medical Devices Sales from Biomedical Engineer?

I'm close to graduating (from an undergrad in Biomed Eng) and have had multiple internships at medical device companies. I've been in technical roles ranging from Quality, Software, Mechanical and Electronics and have dabbled in Marketing and Regulatory Affairs.

I have always liked the idea of moving into a business or management role and have heard that medical device sales can be very financially rewarding. I don't have any real sales experience.. but I DO have a lot of charisma, good knowledge of the medical device industry, and the ability to read people very well (in social settings - not sure if this is critical or even very helpful). I plan on focussing some of my fourth-year electives on management, entrepreneurship or sales courses.I have three questions:

(1) Would I have a hard time finding an entry-level medical device sales position after college with a strong technical resume and good interview skills?

(2) I have one internship remaining before I graduate and was thinking of taking a stab at marketing, sales or a management role in order to make my resume more attractive for this sort of position. Is this a good move? What sort of position would help me most?

(3) Can anyone recommend good next-steps for me? Are there books I should read, courses I should take, specific jobs I should look into? Any and all assistance is appreciated!

Post A Reply

Report this entire thread

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a thread a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the thread has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.

Have you reached out to a medical device sales recruiter? If so, what have they said?

I can't help you on your question about getting into medical device sales but I can point you to a book that I wish I knew about at your age. Check this book out and use what you learn in your sales job. You'll be lightyears ahead of most of the meatheads who are in device sales.

Biodesign: The Process of Innovating Medical Technologies: Paul G. Yock, Stefanos Zenios, Josh Makower, Todd J. Brinton, Uday N. Kumar, F. T. Jay Watkins, Lyn Denend, Thomas M. Krummel, Christine Q. Kurihara: 9781107087354: Amazon.com: Books

Biodesign: The Process of Innovating Medical Technologies [Paul G. Yock, Stefanos Zenios, Josh Makower, Todd J. Brinton, Uday N. Kumar, F. T. Jay Watkins, Lyn Denend, Thomas M. Krummel, Christine Q. Kurihara] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. This step-by-step guide to medical technology innovation, now in full color, has been rewritten to reflect recent trends of industry globalization and value-conscious healthcare. Written by a team of medical

Report this post

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a post a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the post has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.