Looking to Leave Medical Device Sales

I'm in the same boat as this guy. Any advice or anyone in the same boat? I need a change from this rat race.

Hi all,

I have about 7 years of medical device experience selling to hospitals, and it's unfortunately all I know. I think I may be getting burnt out and I'm curious what life is like in other industries. I have some friends who work in different sales industries calling on large corporations. For example, Dell, Lenovo, Cisco, Red Hat. I am wondering whether you think any of these companies would find our sales background suitable for an Account Manager role. I've heard that Salesforce.com is a great company to work for. I also know a few people who work for electrical distributors, calling on electrical contractors. Seems a lot different since they are doing a lot of wining, dining, and entertaining.

Has anyone every explored any of these options? What would be pros and cons and would it ever be something you considered if you were to leave our industry? Can we make more money? I'm talking a min of 150k or more, and still have a life outside of work.

Thanks in advance.

Post A Reply

Report this entire thread

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a thread a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the thread has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.

I took a good look at this a few years back. Unless you are dialed in on an opportunity, it’s tough to make a lateral move into a new sector. There are definitely lucrative sales jobs out there, but they seldom go to an industry rookie. A lot of B2B sales jobs are pretty travel-intensive as well.

Report this post

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a post a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the post has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.