"The Implant Files" Report Says Medtronic Linked to 9,300 Deaths

A new report says Medtronic may be linked to as many as 9,300 deaths in the US alone, in addition to an estimated 292,000 injuries .

According to the report, produced by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), one in five medical implants implementing Medtronic products has proven faulty, twice that of other competing companies.

The report, entitled "The Implant Files," which studied data in 36 countries, revealed that authorities in Japan and Norway have also named Medtronic as the single largest source of medical complaints over the past five years.

They concluded that 1 in 5 implants using Medtronic products were problematic. I'm ashamed to read this because I truly thought Medtronic was better than this.

Post A Reply

Report this entire thread

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a thread a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the thread has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.

"Fake News" has never been more appropriate.

This story has to be fake otherwise Medtronic wouldn't have been named one of America's best corporate citizens in 2018 by Forbes.

Just wait till the major restructuring next year as Medtronic takes a closer look at how they do business. You've already seen it with the value based business models being implemented. Omar is all about making Medtronic looking good and rumor has it he is very embarrassed about the article and how it makes the company look. You can turn a blind eye if you want but the fallout will come.

Has it ever occurred to you all out there that almost all of the problems in this industry are started in the sales organization? If you’re honest, it shouldn’t be a surprise that commission based positions are being eliminated for clinical roles. Sales people screw up everything.

This news story will **** over and it will be an after thought by next week. It isn't fake news but rational doctors and hospital decision makers will not let it affect their decision making. Medtronic revenue will not be affected even a little.

Just wait till the major restructuring next year as Medtronic takes a closer look at how they do business. You've already seen it with the value based business models being implemented. Omar is all about making Medtronic looking good and rumor has it he is very embarrassed about the article and how it makes the company look. You can turn a blind eye if you want but the fallout will come.

Show Language

"Fake News" has never been more appropriate.

This news story will **** over and it will be an after thought by next week. It isn't fake news but rational doctors and hospital decision makers will not let it affect their decision making. Medtronic revenue will not be affected even a little.

Show Language

1 in 5 Medtronic implants are problematic? I haven't read the report....what type of Medtronic implant were they using? In my time in the field on the cardiac side, in no way have I seen this amount of problems. If a surgeon I worked with had this amount of trouble then they wouldn't use the products I sell. They would move on to another company.

Report this post

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a post a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the post has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.