Medtronic Integrated Health Solutions

This slide is a great indication of where the industry is going and the future of what a sales role in the medical device industry will be. It will be less about revenue generation and more about being a consultant working to achieve high customer service and quality of care for your customer.

Post A Reply

Report this entire thread

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a thread a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the thread has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.

I must be dumb because I read this article and still don't understand how Medtronic gets paid with the value based agreement.

Results from an analysis of over 6,000 members with diabetes on Medtronic MiniMed(TM) 630G and previous generation insulin pumps demonstrated 27 percent fewer preventable hospital admissions compared to plan participants who are on multiple daily injections of insulin (MDI). The analysis included a mix of members utilizing both standalone insulin pumps and pumps integrated with continuous glucose monitors (CGM).

Does this mean that United will cut Medtronic a check because they saved them money by reducing hospital admissions for members using a MiniMed?

Interesting thought is there are no sales reps involved in these transactions? Just the Medtronic corporate reps who call on United Healthcare.

Smart move by Omar if true. Diabetes doesn't need a big sales team. The products sell on their own and customer service is more important with those products than a bunch of sales reps running around doing nothing all day. Doctors hear all the time how bad the service is on Medtronic units and that is when a doctor will recommend that a patient changes systems.

I must be dumb because I read this article and still don't understand how Medtronic gets paid with the value based agreement.

Results from an analysis of over 6,000 members with diabetes on Medtronic MiniMed(TM) 630G and previous generation insulin pumps demonstrated 27 percent fewer preventable hospital admissions compared to plan participants who are on multiple daily injections of insulin (MDI). The analysis included a mix of members utilizing both standalone insulin pumps and pumps integrated with continuous glucose monitors (CGM).

Does this mean that United will cut Medtronic a check because they saved them money by reducing hospital admissions for members using a MiniMed?

Interesting thought is there are no sales reps involved in these transactions? Just the Medtronic corporate reps who call on United Healthcare.

The link discussing it in more detail:

Medtech[y] | United Healthcare and Medtronic Partnership

The deal with United Healthcare could be the biggest and most important partnership that Medtronic has signed. For those not familiar, in 2016, United Healthcare awarded Medtronic insulin pumps as the preferred choice for United Healthcare's members and started a study of over 6,000 United Healthcare…

Hat tip to the user who posted a couple of great slides on the Medtronic Diabetes forum as they helped with this article and understanding how Medtronic is approaching their value based model.

Medtechy

Hello Medtronic board, we would like to share this article with you as it is relevant to this discussion. Thank you for continuing to share on the medtechy forum.

Medtechy

And this right here is part of the problem. We all know that the U.S. healthcare system is broken and it needs to change. Programs like this provide Medtronic an opportunity to capitalize on the broken system. Employees like me who find this thread want to know the specific ways these programs will work because maybe we would like to join the division and be a part of something revolutionary. So is it revolutionary or just another way the company can capitalize on the broken state of healthcare? Let us know the specifics because we want in!

Hello Medtronic board, we would like to share this article with you as it is relevant to this discussion. Thank you for continuing to share on the medtechy forum.

Medtechy

Give Omar credit for trying to save the American healthcare system money!

And this right here is part of the problem. We all know that the U.S. healthcare system is broken and it needs to change. Programs like this provide Medtronic an opportunity to capitalize on the broken system. Employees like me who find this thread want to know the specific ways these programs will work because maybe we would like to join the division and be a part of something revolutionary. So is it revolutionary or just another way the company can capitalize on the broken state of healthcare? Let us know the specifics because we want in!

I've read every article and presentation about Medtronic's value based initiatives and I still can't figure it out. Medtronic is great at using a lot of pretty pictures in these slides but I have never seen specifics given on how "value" is measured.

The only thing Medtronic is saying is that technology innovation will result in improved outcomes. That's laughable.

But how?

That's actually a funny joke. I went ahead and listened to the conference call and Omar made this quote:

With our direct related value-based healthcare arrangement, we now have over 1100 hospitals under contracts, covering over 30% of our U.S.

Can anyone tell me what exactly hospitals are under contract for with these value-based arrangements?

Is it all marketing speak or are there tangible deliverables that Medtronic provides with these agreements?

I've read every article and presentation about Medtronic's value based initiatives and I still can't figure it out. Medtronic is great at using a lot of pretty pictures in these slides but I have never seen specifics given on how "value" is measured.

The only thing Medtronic is saying is that technology innovation will result in improved outcomes. That's laughable.

But how?

Drink every time you hear Omar say "value-based" on the earnings call.

That's actually a funny joke. I went ahead and listened to the conference call and Omar made this quote:

With our direct related value-based healthcare arrangement, we now have over 1100 hospitals under contracts, covering over 30% of our U.S.

Can anyone tell me what exactly hospitals are under contract for with these value-based arrangements?

Is it all marketing speak or are there tangible deliverables that Medtronic provides with these agreements?

Drink every time you hear Omar say "value-based" on the earnings call.

Omar did use the words "Universal Healthcare" in a recent talk. Is he trying to make those off the bad word list?

Value based healthcare will be the norm in 10 years for companies in the medical device industry. Be happy that someone with Omar's vision is leading this company.

It's all about drilling down on the vertically integrated synergies we can provide to our partners. We have to unpack the value-added flavor of our offering. Simple stuff

Omar did use the words "Universal Healthcare" in a recent talk. Is he trying to make those off the bad word list?

These marketing words are great and all but I bet 5% of Medtronic employees understand what in the world this program actually does. If I'm wrong and you understand it, feel free to explain how it works.

It's all about drilling down on the vertically integrated synergies we can provide to our partners. We have to unpack the value-added flavor of our offering. Simple stuff

Load More

Report this post

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a post a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the post has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.