Post A Reply

Rate Synthes

• Culture

• Compensation

• Opportunity for advancement

• Realistic plan attainment

Salaries

In our drive to help people in the medical sales industry we are gathering salary data. This information will be collated, analyzed and number crunched. Medtechy’s overall goal is to help the medical sales industry make more informed decisions when changing jobs and also keep employers and recruiters honest

Take 30 seconds and let us know your current deal.*

About The Position

Compensation

* We guarantee all data collected is completely anonymous and will only be used for the benefit of future visitors.

Hot Ticker Articles

Abbott CEO gives a great lesson in accountability

Abbott's Medical Device Business is Rolling

JNJ Medical Device Business Continues to Lag

Diabetes is a main ingredient in Medtronic's Value Based Healthcare Program

JNJ beats earnings on pharma sales, cuts full year forecast

Job Listings

Globus Medical Poaching Synthes Trauma Reps

JNJ lawyers are on standby to enforce the non-competes when the mass exodus to Globus starts.

This is my stock pick for 2018....great company, getting ready for a big push into trauma space and many Synthes reps WILL make the switch. https://t.co/VZtXYhkJaf

Post A Reply

Report this entire thread

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a thread a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the thread has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.

They had their chance to leave though but there isn't room on the bus now.

Sorry bros.

Yea right, Gregoris is poaching EVERY stud rep from Depuy Trauma. Depuy is done and they did it to themselves. All the players want to be at Globus' new trauma division.

Sales at Synthes and Depuy are so bad that reps are literally begging Globus or Stryker to end the misery of working for a JNJ company.

They had their chance to leave though but there isn't room on the bus now.

Sorry bros.

Time will tell if the J&J go to market plan will work, but for now it appears to be effective on some levels. The plan of keeping high volume, large dollar guys relatively highly paid(consolidating accounts to help pay for coverage reps, making wage decreases minimal) , laying off the mid-level consultant (I was a casualty) and creating super territories run by a senior guy and a hand full of quintiles reps hasn't appeared to be debilitating, yet. There was some **** back at a large level one in my old region about level of service (I can't believe the level the company has diminished the education standard to for the QASC) from the head surgeon, but I feel as long as the lead rep is in place the cases they may lose will be minimal compared to the money they have saved by letting quality employees go in place of the quintiles coverage rep. I will say the attrition rate of quintiles reps is lower than I thought it would be after almost a year and a half.

The allure to Globus is that, effective or not, J&J is truly murdering the outstanding culture that was legacy Synthes. Globus is selling that culture and promising that it will not change. The majority of people charged with the Globus start up have Synthes in their blood and are hoping to recreate a once proud culture and company. The consultants bailing for Globus seem to be similar minded trauma consultants or those seeing the writing on the wall that J&J has devalued what a trauma rep does and even reps that are constant quota achievers can be cast aside after weekend after weekend, holiday after holiday, spent in the OR for the company. We have countless examples of how "getting the band back together" doesn't necessarily work. I'm hoping this can be an exception.

Globus definitely faces huge obstacles in this space, most have been laid out in this thread. Sims cabinet displacement seems to be the largest. Price pressures, more demanding case coverage reliance for simple surgeries, lack of sales force forcing reps on call for extended periods of time, all seem daunting. But knowing many of the people in place pushing this thing forward, I'd take any of them over the remaining leadership at DPST. The majority of the best of the best are gone. I'm out of trauma, and I only got to see the very end of the Synthes way of doing things but it is a time I am super grateful for and Synthes will always be in my heart. I definitely pulling for the globus team and the demise of DPST. I just don't know how realistic it is.

Sales at Synthes and Depuy are so bad that reps are literally begging Globus or Stryker to end the misery of working for a JNJ company.

Show Language

Get here before all the spots are taken!

500k plus is achievable!

reps aren't the only ones running to Globus. So are the big time AO Docs. And the guarantee will be there even past year two. They know it's a slow process, they are well positioned financially and committed to it

Get here before all the spots are taken!

Run, don't walk, to Globus if they are going to pay you that much money.

reps aren't the only ones running to Globus. So are the big time AO Docs. And the guarantee will be there even past year two. They know it's a slow process, they are well positioned financially and committed to it

Extremely well said. Globus has to realize they are going to have to go at the market slow. Hire a group of stud reps with a book of business and know they may have to pay out the ear in order for it to work. It may take a couple of years for the conversion to take in those markets and the profit in those territories may not be all that high. I definitely see the allure of jumping off the J&J train if you can get a big guarantee like the others have said.

Run, don't walk, to Globus if they are going to pay you that much money.

Extremely well said. Globus has to realize they are going to have to go at the market slow. Hire a group of stud reps with a book of business and know they may have to pay out the ear in order for it to work. It may take a couple of years for the conversion to take in those markets and the profit in those territories may not be all that high. I definitely see the allure of jumping off the J&J train if you can get a big guarantee like the others have said.

I will keep it simple: if they are going to offer you 500k or possibly 700k for a couple of years....please do yourself a favor and run as fast as you can to take the job. Depuy is dead.

Time will tell if the J&J go to market plan will work, but for now it appears to be effective on some levels. The plan of keeping high volume, large dollar guys relatively highly paid(consolidating accounts to help pay for coverage reps, making wage decreases minimal) , laying off the mid-level consultant (I was a casualty) and creating super territories run by a senior guy and a hand full of quintiles reps hasn't appeared to be debilitating, yet. There was some **** back at a large level one in my old region about level of service (I can't believe the level the company has diminished the education standard to for the QASC) from the head surgeon, but I feel as long as the lead rep is in place the cases they may lose will be minimal compared to the money they have saved by letting quality employees go in place of the quintiles coverage rep. I will say the attrition rate of quintiles reps is lower than I thought it would be after almost a year and a half.

The allure to Globus is that, effective or not, J&J is truly murdering the outstanding culture that was legacy Synthes. Globus is selling that culture and promising that it will not change. The majority of people charged with the Globus start up have Synthes in their blood and are hoping to recreate a once proud culture and company. The consultants bailing for Globus seem to be similar minded trauma consultants or those seeing the writing on the wall that J&J has devalued what a trauma rep does and even reps that are constant quota achievers can be cast aside after weekend after weekend, holiday after holiday, spent in the OR for the company. We have countless examples of how "getting the band back together" doesn't necessarily work. I'm hoping this can be an exception.

Globus definitely faces huge obstacles in this space, most have been laid out in this thread. Sims cabinet displacement seems to be the largest. Price pressures, more demanding case coverage reliance for simple surgeries, lack of sales force forcing reps on call for extended periods of time, all seem daunting. But knowing many of the people in place pushing this thing forward, I'd take any of them over the remaining leadership at DPST. The majority of the best of the best are gone. I'm out of trauma, and I only got to see the very end of the Synthes way of doing things but it is a time I am super grateful for and Synthes will always be in my heart. I definitely pulling for the globus team and the demise of DPST. I just don't know how realistic it is.

Show Language

Show Language

They are literally guaranteeing some territories up to 500k. Insane!

If you are offered a position at Globus, take it and don't look back. Why would you even consider sticking around? Depuy's business was down over 2% last quarter and the competition is smoking us everywhere. Trauma did grow (2% lol) but don't think Depuy and JNJ are going to increase comp just to keep some of us from leaving - they can't afford it.

Don't burn bridges and you can come back if you really miss it.

Globus is all over us for these jobs....NJ, NYC, Baltimore....all the Synthes reps have been called. And they're listening. I'll rephrase...they're running for the door to take the jobs.

They are literally guaranteeing some territories up to 500k. Insane!

Solid advice --

The huge difference between spine and trauma is that in spine you can give a rep a large territory, and he can convert 2 to 3 surgeons (likely that he worked with in his previous company). Those surgeons can do as few as 8-15 cases a month at $8k to $20k per, and rep is doing well. To do those 10 cases, you can get by with a few local sets, plus sets shipped in from home office. With trauma, most of the cases bill out at less then $2k, and you never know when they will go. You need consignment of multiple sets at big hospitals to get any consistent business going (Dr is not going to keep calling you to drop a tibial nail or distal radius set, if there are two other sets in house, plus 5 hour sterilization will c block bad planning). At least 50% of Synthes reps sales are Sims cabinet reorders of B5, Can Screws, Ex fix, drill bits, k-wires.

The Globus trauma move is stupid, and out west they are hiring ex wash out Synthes reps (yes thats you Rob Toni), and ASC type Styker and Smith and Nephew Reps.

The biggest problem with Synthes Trauma business is that hospitals got smarter: stopped by sets, stopped stuffing sims, and started negotiating big discounts. You couple that with adding ASC's and Quintilles that trauma reps have to pay for, its not worth it. The amazing part is that hospital expected better service level (ankle, BBF, and DHS...) coverage with lower pricing. I used to work long hours in old days, but never got night or weekend calls for basic cases like more recent years, even at level 1 with AO facutly surgeons. I could not take it anymore and bailed :-}

Great thread...can your administrator move it to a Synthes board?

Wouldn't you leave if you knew layoffs were coming at a staggering rate?

Synthes of old is way gone and Globus is offering many of us a fresh start.

Solid advice --

The huge difference between spine and trauma is that in spine you can give a rep a large territory, and he can convert 2 to 3 surgeons (likely that he worked with in his previous company). Those surgeons can do as few as 8-15 cases a month at $8k to $20k per, and rep is doing well. To do those 10 cases, you can get by with a few local sets, plus sets shipped in from home office. With trauma, most of the cases bill out at less then $2k, and you never know when they will go. You need consignment of multiple sets at big hospitals to get any consistent business going (Dr is not going to keep calling you to drop a tibial nail or distal radius set, if there are two other sets in house, plus 5 hour sterilization will c block bad planning). At least 50% of Synthes reps sales are Sims cabinet reorders of B5, Can Screws, Ex fix, drill bits, k-wires.

The Globus trauma move is stupid, and out west they are hiring ex wash out Synthes reps (yes thats you Rob Toni), and ASC type Styker and Smith and Nephew Reps.

The biggest problem with Synthes Trauma business is that hospitals got smarter: stopped by sets, stopped stuffing sims, and started negotiating big discounts. You couple that with adding ASC's and Quintilles that trauma reps have to pay for, its not worth it. The amazing part is that hospital expected better service level (ankle, BBF, and DHS...) coverage with lower pricing. I used to work long hours in old days, but never got night or weekend calls for basic cases like more recent years, even at level 1 with AO facutly surgeons. I could not take it anymore and bailed :-}

Globus is all over us for these jobs....NJ, NYC, Baltimore....all the Synthes reps have been called. And they're listening. I'll rephrase...they're running for the door to take the jobs.

Wouldn't you leave if you knew layoffs were coming at a staggering rate?

Synthes of old is way gone and Globus is offering many of us a fresh start.

Load More

Report this post

The reason we ask for your email address is to ensure the reporting feature is not abused. Once you report a post a confirmation email will be sent to you requiring that you did in fact mean to do this action. This also gives us a way to get in touch with you privately to discuss your reasoning if we feel the post has been reported without merit.

Your email address will never be used for any other reason and will never be sold to email marketers.

A reason is required.