Amazon Alexa is now HIPAA-compliant, launches six new healthcare related skills
Posted on April 04, 2019 by Medtech[y] Staff
Amazon announced new software on Thursday, introducing six new Alexa healthcare skills from healthcare providers, payors, PBM's and digital health coaching companies which allow Alexa enabled devices to transmit and receive protected health information, thus becoming HIPAA (U.S. Health insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) compliant.
The software update announced on the Alexa Blog will help further the integration of Alexa and healthcare, allowing patients to book medical appointments, booking a medical appointment, accessing hospital post-discharge instructions, or checking on the status of a prescription delivery.
Chief Innovation Officer of Boston Children's Hospital, John Brownstein, said, “Boston Children’s Hospital has long believed that voice technology has the potential to substantially improve the healthcare experience for both consumers and clinicians. We began this journey with one of the first Amazon Alexa skills from a hospital four years ago and are thrilled to participate in the initial launch of Amazon Alexa’s HIPAA-eligible service for developers."
The six new healthcare skills launched today are:
- Express Scripts (a leading Pharmacy Services Organization): Members can check the status of a home delivery prescription and can request Alexa notifications when their prescription orders are shipped.
- Cigna Health Today (by Cigna, the global health service company): Eligible employees with one of Cigna's large national accounts can now manage their health improvement goals and increase opportunities for earning personalized wellness incentives.
- My Children's Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS)(by Boston Children's Hospital, a leading children's hospital): Parents and caregivers of children in the ERAS program at Boston Children's Hospital can provide their care teams updates on recovery progress and receive information regarding their post-op appointments.
- Swedish Health Connect (by Providence St. Joseph Health, a healthcare system with 51 hospitals across 7 states and 829 clinics): Customers can find an urgent care center near them and schedule a same-day appointment.
- Atrium Health (a healthcare system with more than 40 hospitals and 900 care locations throughout North and South Carolina and Georgia): Customers in North and South Carolina can find an urgent care location near them and schedule a same-day appointment.
- Livongo (a leading consumer digital health company that creates new and different experiences for people with chronic conditions): Members can query their last blood sugar reading, blood sugar measurement trends, and receive insights and Health Nudges that are personalized to them.
Are you a recruiter or company looking to fill a Medical Sales opening, including the medical device or biotech industries? If so, checkout Medtechy Jobs and create a free employer account or a free candidate account. All of our jobs are strategically distributed to our diverse following of experienced and those new to the industry. Multi-pack jobs start at $100.
We are also excited to launch Medtechy Deals, our new store which sources deals on gadgets, everyday carry essentials and online courses for employees in the healthcare industry!